February 07, 2011

The Elements of Character by Rex Hammock

Character Matters Essay Contest, 1st Place, Middle School Division

Character is one of the most important aspects of a person. True character comes from the ability to overcome obstacles and learn from one’s mistakes. It is the ability to see those who need help, and be able to put aside one’s own needs in order to take care of the people who need help the most. I have witnessed “true character” from not only my own grandpa, but also by a nameless newspaperman who I see every day on my way to school. In both my grandfather and the paper man, I see similar traits of faith, cheerfulness, and perseverance. These elements help develop strong character in people, and we are drawn to people with these traits.

The greatest example of someone with a strong moral character is my grandpa. My grandmother is in poor health; she is in the late stage of Alzheimer’s disease. She and my grandpa have been married for over fifty years, but sometimes she does not recognize him anymore. This, however, does not prevent my grandpa from caring for her so lovingly on a daily basis. He keeps a positive spirit and cheerful attitude and continues to feed her and provide for her, expressing often how the vows he took over fifty years ago still remain on his mind and heart.

Although he has had his own health issues over the last few years, he maintains a happy demeanor and does not complain. I often wonder how my grandpa manages to keep a smile on his face throughout the day when things seem difficult for him. A few years ago he was attacked by a pitbull when he was walking in a canyon. The dog ran away from its owner and attacked my grandpa. The owner called 911, but did not wait around to help my then-eighty-year-old grandpa. In fact, the owner disconnected his phone soon afterward, and never paid any of the bills that were the result of my grandpa’s injuries and hospital stay. Yet, my grandpa never complained; instead he offered up his sufferings to God. He prayed a lot and said he felt grateful to be alive. That is my grandpa’s character—loving, cheerful, and accepting. Every time I see him, he gives me a great big hug, and usually offers me a favorite treat, like ice-cream. Recently I asked him how he was able to always be happy, even when Grandma is having a bad day. His answer was short and simple: faith.

I was not surprised by his answer. He is a devout Catholic who prays a lot and has a strong relationship with God. He told me that every day when he wakes up, he thanks God and asks Him to help him throughout the day. After this, I started to think more about what my grandpa said and I determined that my grandpa was right. If we have faith and trust the Lord, we can conquer obstacles that we normally cannot. Ever since my grandpa taught me this, I have tried to rely on prayer and my faith more. I want to be more like him. He has helped me to think of others who seem forgotten by most people, like the newspaperman on Highway 101.

The newspaperman stands on the island in the middle of the street, trying to sell newspapers to people who pass his way. I see him every day on the way to school. He is a bearded man, with large hands and dark eyes. His appearance reflects what must have been a difficult life. I look forward to seeing him every morning though. There is something about his spirit, his character, that draws me in. I always have a dollar ready for him; I look for him a few blocks ahead of where he stands on the island, by the Starbucks on Highway 101. I look for his usual large, round hand waving enthusiastically at me, as he walks toward our van when he sees us. Despite what he may be feeling inside, he smiles broadly, exposing gaps in his smile from missing teeth. I know that this man is involved in a newspaper program to help him get off the street. He is hired to sell newspapers; he is learning to work again, and to be responsible. He is always cheerful. Every day, he gives us a newspaper, thanks us for buying it, shouts a hearty “God bless you,” and wishes my sister and me a good day at school. Although I have only known him for a month, and I still don’t even know his name, he is a big part of my morning routine. There is something about his character that is admirable; he is trying so hard to work again, to be a part of something again. How he is able to maintain such a friendly disposition when most cars speed by him must be difficult, but he does it. Even in the rain! One day last month it was raining very hard on our way to school. I was certain that I wasn’t going to see the paperman as the weather was too harsh. However, when we arrived at the usual spot, I saw him standing alone in the cold rain wearing a long, blue raincoat, his newspapers bundled in plastic wrap, and his everlasting smile still beaming broadly. The fact that he was trying to sell his papers in the pouring rain meant a lot to me. This expressed to me the man’s fierce determination and perseverance to maintain his commitment. I admire his character. He was not going to let the rain prevent him from reaching his goals, or dampen his spirit.

Therefore, faith, a cheerful attitude, and perseverance are valuable elements of our character. Without these traits, we would not believe in our ability to carry out even small tasks when times seem difficult. With faith and perseverance, we carry out our daily duties and keep our promises, while maintaining a cheerful attitude. Faith strengthens our character; we can place our trust in God and rely on Him to help us through the toughest trials. A trusting and faithful heart is reflected in the cheerful actions of both my grandpa and the newspaperman. They kept their word. Indeed, they are great men of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment